Friday, March 6, 2009

varpapuu

is the name of the Finnish loom I will put together as soon as the two main frame parts can be picked up from its old home on Stone Road. They are too big to put in the back of my car, so I am getting help from my husband to tie them to the roof rack. Then will begin the work of assembling it.....
Meanwhile, I am weaving off a warp at home on the Macomber 4 harness loom. It is a lovely pale striped warp which has given me a chance to experiment with a lot of color combinations.
I recently took a class in Shelburne Falls at Vavstuga, a Swedish weaving school/studio. I stayed with a good old friend. I told her I'd like to learn more about color principles. She showed me a book by Joseph Albers- Interaction of Color, which I recognized as one of my old text books from my college days! I never learned a lot about color then, but my experiments are teaching me a lot now. The main thing is to explore and follow one's own thread. Allow room and time for experimentation and play.

1 comment:

stone road studio said...

I agree that experimentation and exploration are great ways to learn. Keep it up!

Followers

About Me

My photo
I was born in Massachusetts and grew up in the countryside west of Worcester. I was an art major in college, worked in human services for several years before studying to become an acupuncturist. I worked as a Doctor of Acupuncture in private practice in RI for about 10 years. I recently have begun weaving, spinning and designing projects for the loom.